My Announcements and Achievements

Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Vegetarian Spanish Rice



This dish makes a good side or main dish, vegetarian too. Or use chicken broth instead of vegetable broth and add chicken or beef to make an entre.

Please be sure to follow my blog

My Instagram Follow me

https://www.instagram.com/mscheriluv/

Follow me on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/CherylsCookingandCraftingatHome

Please be sure to follow my blog

SERVES: 6

YIELD: 3 Cups

WHAT YOU NEED:


2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup rice
1 1⁄2 cups crushed tomatoes(can use fresh, cooked)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 small onion, chopped
2 1⁄3 cups vegetable broth or chicken 
1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, choped
1(4 ounce) can green chilies
1 small can tomato sauce
1 cup frozen mixed vegetables(optional)
2-3 tsp hot sauce (optional)
Seasonings I add: Pepper, Mexican spices to flavor it up and a touch of sea salt


HOW TO MAKE IT:

In a food processor or blender, blend the tomatoes, garlic, onion and 1/3 cup vegetable broth until smooth. If you like it chunky be careful not to over blend. Set aside. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the rice and stir until coated with the oil.

Stir the tomato mixture into the rice. Add the remaining broth, cover, and cook over low heat until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender, about 25 minutes.

Stir in the peppers and green chilies. Heat through and serve immediately.

Note:

I like to cook small tomatoes, sometimes cherry or other kinds, if they are bigger than cherry I cut them in half, then I cook with the onions and garlic till softened. I use these in place of canned when I have fresh. Oh so good and only takes a little longer.

When the rice is done, I stir in 1 cup of frozen mixed vegetables and let it sit with lid oin for just 3-4 minutes to heat them up and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment